Saturday, May 14, 2011

Southern Vietnam: The Mekong Delta. Home, sweet home.

Scared little puppy.  Don't worry we don't eat dog in the South.

It may not look like it but that's rat meat.  And it was delicious too!

Me and my 9th uncle and his wife.
I was praying for my grandfather but it's tradition to place a stick of incense on all the graves so that none of the dead are forgotten.
Coconut and Taro ice cream anyone?  Delicious in the midday heat.


Local girl playing on a hammock.  Adorable.
Vietnam has long been described as two large rice baskets connected by a bamboo pole.  The northern rice basket is the Red River delta, and to the northerners it is a sacred and special place.  In the south, it is the Mekong delta that provides for, and nurtures, the people of Vietnam.  In fact the Mekong delta region of South Vietnam produces more rice per year than Japan and Korea combined. 



The Chau Doc dried fish market.  And yes it smells as bad as it looks.

Palm fruit. 


Sour spicy tamarind soup with cat fish.  Fish sauteed and reduced in fish sauce.  Chicken stir fried with vegetables.

Taking a trip down in the delta.
Life in this region of the country is dominated by the mighty Mekong River, or as the Vietnamese call it, the River of Nine Dragons.  The Mekong begins it’s journey on the Tibetan plateau and gradually courses southward through the countries of Burma, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia before finally reaching Vietnam.  The Mekong delta is a watery landscape filled with vast unending emerald green rice fields, sleepy rural villages, and lush verdant jungle.  The entire area is crisscrossed by an extensive network of tiny canals and narrow waterways that are only accessible by small wooden canoes that are often expertly navigated by tiny brown skinned women in conical hats. 

Ma'm Kho.  Fermented mud fish in pungent broth.  Smells terrible but tastes like heaven.

My 2nd uncle and his first grand son, Phu.

Local lady chillin on the river.

Cashier at the souvenir shop.

Honey anyone?

Chantra with a big ass Burmese python.
My family has lived in this region for generations.  For me, this is the land of my ancestors.  This is the place I dream of when I think of distant shores and a simpler, less complicated life.  It’s nice to come back after so long and see that, despite the change that comes with rapid economic development, the essence of this place still remains.  Children still roam the hot scorched roads on the back of water buffalo’s and women still wander up and down the tiny waterways in boats heavy with fruits and vegetables.  For me and Chantra, this is our last stop in Vietnam.  After this we head off to Japan and South Korea and leave behind the developing world for the bright lights of East Asia.  I had almost forgotten how much I love Vietnam.  For me this was a journey of rediscovery and a once in a life time chance to show my wife the beauty of this country.  We loved our time here.  It was a truly remarkable experience.  I’m really going to miss this place…

Another local traveling down in the delta.

This lady was performing a type of opera that originated in the delta called Cai Luong.


A water buffalo trying to beat the heat. 

Pigs eating lunch.

A local boat captain taking an afternoon siesta. 

Two local boys.

This guy was playing that string instrument.  It's only one string which he plucks with his right hand and then he makes the sound warble by moving the stick in his let hand. 

My cousin Linh all sweaty from running around and playing.
Chantra and my Grandma.

Chantra and my cousin Trang.

Grandma snoozing.
Lychee's, River Apples, Mango's, and Jack Fruit.
Rice Noodles in a spicy broth with ham hocks, shrimp, coagulated pigs blood, and crap paste.  Delicious!
My 9th uncle and his daugher Linh.

Aren't they adorable!


Stir fried beef on a plate of butter lettuce with fresh tomatoes and steamed Okra with a light sweet fish sauce as dressing.  Giant prawns sauteed in it's own sweet and salty sauce.  And some kind of river fish steaks fried with garlic and lemon grass.  Mmmmmm Mmmmm!
Trang.


My second cousin Phu.  What a cutie.

Chantra and the Fam Bam.

Chantra and my cousin's walking down to my uncles farm out in the countryside. 


My fourth Auntie and her family.

2nd Auntie and her grandson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment