Thursday, May 19, 2011

Japan: Tokyo at last!

A small market right in front of Ueno station.  Stalls with fish, fruit, food, and clothes.

Small personal sized okinamiyaki.  Only 200 yen.

Some grade school kids on a field trip to the Ueno Zoo.

Yoshinoya.  A fast food chain but at 280 yen, a steal.

Miso pork ramen and Gyoza. 

Beef!  It's whats for dinner.

Hahahaha!!  Love it!
Chillin at the Hachiko statue in front of Shibuya station.  Just waiting on Tim.

Wow.  I can’t believe I’m back in Tokyo.  Last time I was here, the year was 2004 and I was 24.  There were about a dozen of us and we all crammed into the third floor of a tiny hostel.  The dollar was strong and we partied hard.  Beer for breakfast and shots for dinner.  For those of you who were there the first time, you know what I’m talkin about!  =)  Now I’m almost a decade older, the dollar is weaker than the yen, and most of my buddies are married and have kids.  Oh how times have changed.  Never the less it’s great to be back, and this time I get to kick it in Tokyo with one of my best friends AND my wife.  Gotta say, it’s not a bad way to redo Tokyo. 



Japanese Long Bow, arrow, and quiver.  Tokyo National Museum.

A Masamune Original.


The three of us had some fun with stamps.  If you can't tell, Chantra's was the worse.  Just line up the arrows girl!
Samurai Armor.

It started raining cats and dogs while we were inside.
Chantra's idea of rain gear.

Tim, one of my best friends, who I’ve known for 17 years, who was a groomsman at my wedding, was actually able to meet me in Tokyo.  I found him among the throngs of people surrounding Shibuya station at the famous Hachiko statue.  Now considering that this was Tim’s first time travelling overseas by himself, I was pleasantly surprised that we managed to meet up without any major mishap.  I got to say, after being on the road for the past several months, it was nice to see the face of an old friend.   


My Boy!  Mr. Timothy Lin.

Chicken nuggets from the local Lawson.

Rice Bowl with sauteed pork belly and a raw egg and some miso soup.  It was actually delicious.

Rice Bowl with Grilled Pork.

Cute old couple out for a stroll in Ueno Park.
Since the three of us bounced around Tokyo quite a bit I figured it would be easier to break up Tokyo into its respective districts.  First up, Ueno.  Ueno is considered one of the poorer parts of Tokyo and at night the transients and homeless people often populate the wide open spaces of Ueno Park.  However, despite it’s reputation as being a haven for the down trodden, when compared to similar places in the U.S. Ueno is a paradise.  It’s clean and remarkably drug and violence free.  If ONLY the U.S. could produce such a place within a major metropolitan city.  



A musical performance while the homeless received some free rice.

The three of us slowly strolled down the peaceful tree lined concrete pathways of the park and visited a few shrines and did a lot of people watching before we went to the Tokyo National Museum.  The museum itself was o.k. but on the way to the museum we saw and heard a trio of musicians perform a beautiful Japanese song.  Now I don’t understand the language but I think we can all recognize how a beautiful piece of music can entrance and mesmerize.  What made the scene even more striking was when we realized that the musicians were playing for a group of homeless men who were there to receive a small amount of rice.  It was like an outdoor soup kitchen set to music.  All in all, it was a great visit.
Some local ladies in traditional kimono.  Beautiful.
Prayers.

Chantra cleansing herself with the holy water.  She wasn't supposed to drink from the cup though. 

More Prayers.


Mom with her cute little girl.  Just out relaxing in Ueno Park.

Monk seeking alms.

No comments:

Post a Comment