Friday, March 25, 2011

Uhhh... Can I really do this?

Day 3 Besisahar to Bahundanda
Elevation Change:  1608 ft.
Elevation of Bahundanda:  4298 ft.
Distance:  11 miles
Time:  7 hrs.


So the first day of trekking...  Man if this is how it’s going to be for the next 3 weeks, I’m going to have a heart attack and die.  Seriously, I’ve got some major concerns about my fitness level and my ability to complete this trek.   Our guide, Arjun Nepal, told us that we can expect to hike an average of 6 to 7 hours every day.  6 to 7 hours?   Are you kidding me?  The most exercise I’ve done in the past 4 years is getting up from the couch to the refrigerator to get myself a beer!  Oh and another thing, I thought Nepal was going to be cold, well apparently at the lower elevations it’s hot as hell.  I was so tired and hot that I couldn’t even appreciate the beautiful scenery around me.  And I’m so embarrassed that my wife actually made it up the final incline before me.  Damn I should have prepared better for this trek. 



Anyways we finally make it to our tea house.  It’s a very modest building.  A small room and two twin sized beds.  No luxuries of any kind.  The town of Bahundanda itself is quite small, just a handful of buildings and people.  Up here the people are known as the Gurung.  My guide tells me that their origins are in Tibet and that most of them are Buddhist.  The one thing that I did enjoy during this first difficult day was the hospitality of the people.  Although they tend to stare quite a bit they are actually very friendly, especially the children.  They’re adorable and love posing for pictures. 

Anyways its time to wash off the days grime and try to get some rest.  How am I ever going to make it through another 20 days of this...




No comments:

Post a Comment