Friday, March 25, 2011

Am I getting scammed?

O.K.  So things in Nepal didn’t start like I had hoped.  We make it through customs and immigration without a problem, but then we reach the curb.  There was supposed to be a local guide waiting for us at the airport.  I mean we wired him $500 dollars as a deposit for this whole trekking through Annpurna thing right?  He said he was supposed to meet us at the airport right?  So where the hell is he?!  No  guide, no sign, and a ton of taxi drivers hassling us about a ride into the city.  So I’m thinking: we totally got scammed.  Bye bye $500.  Then a random guy asks us what hotel we’re staying at and I tell him, “Hotel Tradition, but we’re waiting for someone to meet us.”  He asks, “who?”  I say, “Babu.”  And wouldn’t you know it?  This guy says that Babu is his uncle and that he’ll take us to meet him.  Riiiiiiggggghhhhht.  Of the millions of people in Kathmandu we just happen to meet our guides "cousin", who just happens to be chillin at the airport.  Total scam right?  He then proceeds to beg to go with him for like 30 minutes!  At this point I’m thinking:  fuck it.  We got no guide and no ride, we might as well go to the hotel and see what the situation is there.  So we go, and you know what?  The last thing that I thought would happen actually happens.  Our guide is at the hotel!  He apologizes, profusely, for getting our flight information mixed up and takes us out for a welcome meal on him.  I’m so relieved.  I can’t believe things actually worked out.  Well... Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment