Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rain, rain, rain...

Day 6 Dharapani to Chame
Elevation Change:  2657 ft.
Elevation of Chame:  8891 ft.
Distance:  10 miles
Time:  7 ½ hrs.

Some bad weather started to move in today.  A light drizzle was present throughout todays hike and  dark clouds obscured the horizon.  I’m a little worried about the coming rain.  Rain down here means snow and ice up on Thorung La.  We came across at least 5 or 6 groups that could not get across the pass due to either weather conditions or altitude sickness.  I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a bit unnerving.  However, our guide reassures us that the weather will clear up by the time we attempt our crossing.  I hope so.  I would hate to come all this way just to be turned back at the top.  It’s starting to get colder now and our guide says that we should expect snow in the next day or two.  Physically, me and the wife are really feeling it.  We’ve come to accept the fact that the aching muscles and blistered feet aren’t going to get better until we’ve completed the trek.  It’s no longer “if” we’re sore, it’s how bad and whether we can deal.











Day 7 Chame to Lower Pisang
Elevation Change:  1772 ft.
Elevation of Lower Pisang:  10663 ft.
Distance:  12 miles
Time:  7 hrs

The rain came today, and towards the end of our hike it was coming down at a pretty good clip.  We were pretty much drenched by the time we got to Lower Pisang.  It was really cold out there on the mountain, especially when that wind started blowing.  That wind cut right through our clothes and seemed to chill our very bones.  We also came across the first patches of snow and ice today.  Wasn’t I complaining about the heat just a few days ago?  I sure could use some of that sun right about now. 

On a brighter note, I think my body is finally starting to adapt to the trekking.  I mean, I’m still constantly sore and my feet hurt but it’s getting easier to deal with.  We’re also starting to reach some pretty good elevation now.  The vegetation is starting to thin and its noticeably cooler.  The clouds appear much closer than before, obscuring the mountains in a gloomy moody gray haze.  The settlements are also shrinking.  Some of these “towns” are only 4 or 5 buildings now.  Although, I have to admit that when I’m hiking, and I see one of these "settlements" off in the distance, perched up on a high mountain ridge, I feel a sense of relief and jubilation because these towns represent shelter, food, and help. 

The views continue to impress.  I do not have the words to describe the beauty and magnificence of the Himalayas.  We continue to cross one stunning valley after the next.  Each mountain seems larger and more pristine than the one before.  The rain may suck but it gives the land a moody brooding feeling which I particularly enjoy.  Life stops in the Himalayas when it rains.  Everybody runs for cover and a warm fire except those foolish foreigners who, like idiots, choose to continue their journey.  I still hate the hiking but I have to admit, I love the adventure.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment