Monday, March 28, 2011

Chamche to Dharapani

Day 5 Chamche to Dharapani
Elevation Change:  1690 ft.
Elevation of Dharapani:  6234 ft
Distance:  7 miles
Time:  6 hrs.














Oh my god I’m so sore!  Feet, thighs, lower back.  It all hurts.  I can’t believe it’s only day 5.  Ughh!  This is supposed to be vacation right?  Well, I guess you have to suffer through all the physical problems in order to see the truly remarkable aspects of this country, and despite all the complaining, me and Chantra are having a great time.  My favorite part of this whole experience is meeting the locals, and let me tell you, they’re truly amazing.  Life out here in the mountains is incredibly difficult.  Electricity is spotty at best.  Equipment and supplies are carried in by foot or on the backs of mules and other beasts of burden.  The terraces needed for farming have to be carved into the side of the mountain by hand, and the soil yields little.  Life out here is a daily struggle to survive and yet, the locals are universally warm and welcoming.  A simple “Namaste” from us typically elicits a broad smile and polite bow.  They laugh at my poor attempts to communicate and graciously allow me to take pictures of their adorable kids.  Sometimes they're a little more shy and all you see as you pass by are dark smoky eyes following you from the shadows of a dimly lit room.  Never the less, these people are as tough and as beautiful as the mountains they live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment